2500 Highland Road, Suite 105

                                 Hermitage, PA 16148

Hartle Elder Law Practice, LLC

The Law Firm Where We Treat You Like Family

Local: 724-962-3606




By Carolyn E. Hartle, Esquire, Dec 7 2017 09:07PM

Myth: My husband and I have saved all these years. Now, he must go into a nursing home, so the state will take all our money.

Reality: This is false. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will not take all your money. If one spouse needs to enter a nursing home, Medicaid permits the spouse residing in the community to protect a certain amount of the assets. The maximum amount of assets which can be protected is $120,900.00 and the minimum amount is $24,180.00. However, the amount of money which can be protected depends on the value of the couple’s assets. An Elder Law Attorney can assist your family in qualifying for Medicaid, in preserving your assets, and assuring your peace of mind.